Click on the Google icon above to view the list of AVID Google Classroom codes for your grade level!
What is AVID?
AVID (avid.org) is a fifth through twelfth-grade system to prepare students in academics, as evaluated through standardized test scores for a four-year college eligibility. These students are either low-income, first generation college attendees, university under-represented minorities, or have other personal challenges and are falling short of their potential. The core component is the AVID elective, which supports students as they tackle the most rigorous classes. AVID’s teaching strategies, curriculum and training are not used only in the AVID elective class, but by subject-area teachers schoolwide.
AVID is designed to increase schoolwide learning and performance. The mission of AVID is to assist all students, especially the least served students, to succeed in a rigorous curriculum and to enroll in a four-year university. AVID wants to promote these goals for all students, now and in the future.
- To provide students with academic instruction and other support in preparation for eligibility to enter a four-year college or university.
- To improve students’ study and organizational skills.
- To guide students in completing the “A-G” University of California and/or Cal State University requirements (A-G Subject Requirement Plan).
- To motivate students to seek a college education and increase career awareness.
Who May Apply?
The AVID program is typically for students who have been underrepresented at public universities or who face substantial barriers to qualify for university admittance.
The RMHS AVID program is for anyone who is motivated to pursue higher education. This includes students in all levels of classes, including Honors, College Prep and especially those who earn C’s, yet are capable of A’s and B’s with extra support.
- Intensive writing development Classroom tutorials with AVID trained college tutors
- Field trips to colleges, museums and cultural events
- College application counseling
- Financial Aid and Scholarship workshops
- College testing preparation
RMHS AVID Contact Information
Ms. Paige Egelston – AVID Coordinator
Mrs. Carri McDevitt – AVID Counselor
Follow us on INSTAGRAM!