The Rio Mesa High School Counselors are dedicated to helping you throughout your high school career and advocating for you by having high expectations, challenging you through rigorous curriculum to become college and career ready. We offer academic, personal, social, and college to career counseling. While empowering you to develop 21st century skills, we strive to ensure that our students will become responsible and productive citizens in a global society. As servants to our students, we are student advocates and provide referrals to community agencies.
For parents, we provide educational and long-range planning, ensure a positive learning environment, and will connect you to Parent VUE, our online access to student attendance and academic progress. In addition, we provide information and events for community agencies, ROP, and assist foreign exchange students. Finally, we work in close partnership with the College and Career Center for information to colleges, trade schools, financial aid, scholarships, and the military and the Student Wellness Center to provide social emotional services.
Need to make an appointment?
To schedule an appointment with a counselor, please contact Yesenia Ambriz at (805)278-3164 or email@example.com the counselor directly or message your counselor through their Google Classroom.
Counselor Google Classrooms
Please join your grade level Google Classroom for all counseling information that will be provided throughout the school year.
9th Grade Google Classroom Code: guo6fal
10th Grade Google Classroom Code: dah6rg3
11th Grade Google Classroom Code: 2btcr4d
12th Grade Google Classroom Code: lydcqjl
Counselors are assigned by student last name. Find your last name to identify your counselor from the list below.
- All English Learners (EL), foster youth, exchange students and migrant youth are assigned to Mr. Zuniga, regardless of last name.
- All IB DP diploma candidates are assigned to Mrs. Kinney, regardless of last name.
- All IB CP certificate candidates are assigned to Mrs. Gomez, regardless of last name.
- All AVID students are assigned to Mrs. McDevitt, regardless of last name.
- Mr. Castillo and Ms. Tomasetti, the Student Wellness Specialists, are available through student self-referral and/or administrator, teacher, or counselor referral.
A - Char
Chas - D
E - Lamp
Lamq - Nav
IB Diploma Programme
Naw - Rom
Ron - Z
IB Career-Related Programme
Categorical Programs (ELD, Foster, Migrant Ed., Exchange Students)
Academic Intervention Specialists (9th & 10th Grade)
Student Wellness Specialist (SWS)
Student Wellness Specialist (SWS)
Wellness Center Guidance Tech
College and Career Center Technician
Oxnard College Adjunct Counselor
- College Board
- UC Pathways
- CSU Mentor
- Financial Aid for College
- OUHSD Curriculum Framework
- OUHSD Graduation Requirements
- OUHSD Listing of Helpful Online Resources
- Scholarship Help
- Please read the SAT Test-Taking Procedures before test day.
- Visit www.testpreview.com to take practice tests like the ACT, ASVAB, GED, and SAT, among many others.
- Interface Crisis Hotline – 211
- Kids 2 Kids – (805)573-0752 or (805)640-1632
- Food Pantry at Saint Paul’s – (805)643-5033
- Catholic Charities – (805)486-2900
- Rescue Mission – (805)487-1234
Rio Mesa offers the following Support Groups with professional therapists during the school day:
- Teen Issues
- Drug/ alcohol and tobacco
For more information about these groups, please contact your school counselor.