Our courses are designed to develop mastery and facility in the basic language skills. We offer 4 levels, Spanish 1, Spanish 2, Spanish 3, Spanish IB. Emphasis is placed on reading listening comprehension, command of vocabulary, fluency in oral expression, and grammatical accuracy in written composition. The study of history, culture, and customs is addressed as well as the non -verbal aspects of communication in the culture studied.
As a department, we have the following to help close the achievement gap:
- We have an open door policy during lunch, before and after school that gives the students the extra time or help/tutor on the subject. Students need to check with their teacher to find out which hours are provided
- We all use technology to enhance the second language skills. We go to the computer lab every other week, we have logs tht students use to to tally up the amount of hours they spend outside of class exposing themselves to the second language
- We are constantly reinforcing and presenting new vocabulary
- We provide opportunities for higher thinking skils in our literature courses. These courses allow the students to interpret and analyze literature
- We assign essays for congnative skills
Spanish (non-heritage speakers) levels 1, 2, 3, and 4IB.
Spanish for heritage speakers levels 2, 3, 4AP
French levels 1, 2, 3, and 4IN
Mandarin levels 1, 2, and 3