What is the difference between the IB Diploma Programme and the IB Career Programme?
To learn more about the International Baccalaureate Diploma Program, click on the link below.
- The IB curriculum is the same throughout the United States and the world.
- AP is a United States program only.
- IB focuses on a student’s depth of learning not on preparing a student to take an exam.
- IB courses focus on world perspectives.
- IB courses involve research and written components. (all courses)
- IB courses are for Juniors and Seniors; however, freshmen can take courses to prepare for the rigors of IB.
- International Baccalaureate courses are widely recognized by the world’s leading universities because IB students learn more than a collection of facts.
- The International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma Program is different from other pre-university courses or assessments in that it is a comprehensive, integrated program that emphasizes international perspectives.
- IB assessments include multiple, varied forms of external and internal assessment.
- Recent studies on IB Diploma Program graduates at universities confirm that they perform well and have significantly higher grade point averages and higher graduation rates than students who did not complete the IB Diploma Program. Scores on IB assessments are also a significant predictor of university performance.
IB classes are for any student who wants to challenge him or herself with a higher-level course. Those students who have taken Honors level courses might be better prepared for the workload and challenges of an IB course, but if you are willing to work hard, you will do just fine.
Math Studies SL, Economics SL, History of the Americas HL, English 3 SL and HL, Chemistry SL and HL, Visual Arts SL and HL, Spanish SL (prerequisite required), French SL (prerequisite required), Theory of Knowledge
Both levels are challenging and rigorous. The main difference is in teaching hours per course: SL courses require a minimum of 150 teaching hours and HL courses require a minimum of 240 hours. HL courses provide a more in-depth study of a particular subject.
Students can register for just one IB course or as many as six. If you are interested in attaining a full IB Diploma, please see Mrs. Wrout.
All IB courses are calculated on the 5.0 scale except for the following:
Math Studies SL, Spanish SL, Chemistry SL, Theory of Knowledge, and year one of Chemistry HL
- EE Overview
- EE Approved Subjects
- Subject Specific Guidance
- Timeline 2019-20
- EE Assessment Objectives
- EE Assessment Criteria
- EE Assessment: Advice for Students
- EE Format – IB Guidelines
- EE Brochure 2019-20
Reflection and the EE
- Assessment Criterion E (Engagement) – quick summary
- Table of Reflection Phases
- Reflection and the EE
- Reflections on Planning and Progress Form
Research, Writing, and Editing Guides (The Writing Center: GMU)
- MLA Citation Quick Guide
- Chicago Style Citation Guide
- How to Write a Research Question
- Five Steps to Developing a Research Question
- Research Question Guide
- What Makes a Good Research Question? (Duke University)
- Organizational Maps
- Reverse Outlining
- Guide to Avoiding Plagiarism
- Quotation, Paraphrase, Summary and Analysis Guide
- 23 Ways to Improve Your Draft
- Editing Checklist
Helpful Links: Additional Resources
The IB calendar lists dates for all major IB assignments, assessments, projects, and orals.
Note: Calendar information subject to change. IB students must verify all due dates and tasks with the appropriate IB staff members.
–RMHS Academic Honesty and Authenticity Policy
–RMHS Un recurso práctico para la honestidad y autenticidad académicas
Parents/Guardians: After reading and reviewing the document entitled General Regulations: Diploma Programme and the document entitled Academic Honesty and Authenticity Policy/Student Resource Guide, please use one of the following links to complete the Google form that serves as your acknowledgment and receipt of said documents.
Padres / tutores: Después de leer y revisar el documento titulado Reglamento General: Programa del Diploma y el documento titulado Política de Honestidad Académica y Autenticidad / Guía de Recursos Estudiantiles, utilice uno de los siguientes enlaces para completar el formulario de Google que sirve como reconocimiento y recibo de dichos documentos.
-Purdue Online Writing Lab MLA
-Purdue Online Writing Lab APA
IB DIPLOMA PROGRAM SUBJECT TEACHERS:
Cristina Aguirre – Spanish B SL
Anna Binney – Mathematical Studies SL
Ingrid Brennan – English HL TOK
Mia Chancer – English SL
Carrie Fong – Environmental Systems and Societies SL
David Gonzalez – Spanish B SL
Nikki Hansen – Math HL
Jeff Holloway – History of the Americas and US History Honors TOK
Salima Houdoud – French B SL
Matt Jackson – Chemistry SL
Shi Young Kim – Visual Art HL and SL
Yen Law – Math HL
Mark Martinez – US History Honors
Chris Moody – Economics SL
Verity Olliff – English HL, TOK
Joan O’Reilly – English SL
Rano Sidhu – Chemistry HL year one and year two
Sandra Tchiprout – English HL
William Trude – Design Technology SL
The IB Diploma Program Core: EE, CAS, and TOK (TOK teachers listed above)
Ingrid Brennan – Creativity, Activity, Service (CAS) Advisor
Margery Ricards – Extended Essay
IB DIPLOMA PROGRAM COORDINATION AND COUNSELING:
Cuba Montero – IB and Special Programs Counselor
Lori Wrout – IB Coordination